Medical Care for Sexual Concerns
Sexual medicine is the branch of medicine concerned with human sexuality. Sexual medicine specialists have knowledge of sexual function and dysfunction, individual and/or partnership behaviors and experience, sexual trauma and its consequences, and knowledge of the effects that many medical conditions and/or their treatment have on sexual function. Sexual medicine also includes medical care for transgender and gender non-conforming people.
Sexual concerns are often complex and often require more time than a typical medical visit to fully assess. There are biological, psychological, interpersonal, cultural, social, and often spiritual aspects to sexual concerns. If you are struggling with a sexual concern, you deserve comprehensive care and treatment and that is what we are here to provide.
Some common issues that may benefit from sexual medicine consultation:
- Erectile dysfunction or problems with ejaculation
- Problems with arousal or lubrication — too much or too little
- Low Desire
- Pain during or after Sex
- Pain during pelvic/gynecology exams
- Problems with Orgasm
- Sexual problems that occur after cancer diagnosis or treatment
- Sexual problems that occur after menopause
- Sexual problems due to medications, procedures, or surgeries
- Desire for gender affirming medications or treatments
- And more…
The Rochester Center for Sexual Wellness does not provide primary care, or general urology and gynecology services. When necessary, we work closely with other physicians to develop treatment plans that will meet your needs and goals.
Check out the Trans and Non-Binary Resource Guide